We start this week’s recap with a very serious, very important safety message from a long-time fellow Team Evesham rider:
Hi, you know me as Rich Bernstein, ride leader. I want to recount for you an experience I had one day in September. I crashed during a ride. But, aside from a bruised kneecap (I am icing it as I write), I am fine. You may detect minor remains of road rash on my face, but I suffered no serious injuries. I rode for the 3rd Sunday in a row this week, in fact. I am not writing to you today to tell you about my injuries. I am instead, writing about the injuries, I didn’t have! Look at the the two photos below.
Despite the way my face looked, I didn’t break my nose or any teeth. You may be able to detect lines on my forehead. Those are from the vents on the front of my helmet.
My helmet protected my noggin! Yes, it cracked. Right in the front, above my nose. It must have hit first, protecting my nose. I also have no eye injuries. Why? Because I was wearing goggles. There is a scrape on my right lens where it scraped the tarmac. But, no eye injuries. This was my first crash, after probably, 10,000 miles with the team. We have to accept that there is some risk in our chosen activity (but the rewards outweigh the risks!)
I am writing today to implore you to do what you can to minimize risk! I believe I had no concussion because I wore the right helmet, that was fitted to me, at D&Q and I wore it correctly.
My helmet then, and now, has MIPS protection. I also bought it at my local bike store, Danzeisen and Quigley, allowing them to confirm that it was the right size and fit me properly. I also know that I adjusted the wheel in the back, just before leaving the rest stop prior to my crash. I see too many people wear a helmet on the side of their head or pushed back. The helmet fit, and it did its job.
If you don’t have MIPS protection get it. Forgo the next meal out if you must, but your head is worth it! And please, resist the temptation to buy the cheap helmet. Buy the right helmet and have the store fit it and show you how to wear it properly. Mine was $85, after the TE discount, a very small price to pay.
And, please wear eye protection. I like riding with you people and I want us all to be riding for many years to come.
If you need help on any of these safety issues, contact the team ride leaders or the board.
Geared up and Ready to Ride!
Winter Team Evesham Gear
Also order your Team Evesham winter gear before November 5 and have it here for the holidays. This custom cycling gear is a great gift for the active cyclists.
Welcome to the Voler Online Ordering System
Team Evesham is using the Voler Custom Online Order System to collect and process your cycling apparel order. Please follow the steps below to place your individual order for inclusion in the overall team order.
- Click on this link to access your team order site: Team Evesham
- Click on “LOGIN” to enter your Login/Billing Info. Click on “Create Account” to save the information and to create your new User ID and Password. You will automatically be directed to the home page for your team order. If you are a returning customer, please use your original Login and Password.
- Click on “Begin Shopping” to gain access to the orderable products page. To place items in your shopping cart, click on the item you want to order, then the options you want to select, then the “Add to cart” button. You can choose to “View Your Bag” or “Continue Shopping” after adding each item. Repeat these steps for each item you want to order.
- After placing the last item you want to order in your shopping cart, click on “View Your Bag” to display the items. Carefully review the items and make any necessary modifications or deletions. Because each item is custom built, refunds and exchanges will not be accepted. After you have confirmed your order is correct, click on “Proceed to Checkout” to complete the secure checkout process by entering your credit card payment information.
- After you have completed the secure checkout process, an Order Confirmation will automatically be displayed and e-mailed to you for your records.
- After the order deadline date has passed, you will no longer be able to access the order site. If you have not completed the checkout process for your order by this date, any items in your cart will be removed. The Order Deadline and the Order Ship Date are displayed on the order homepage. The Ship Date is the date that your order will be shipped from Voler.
Thank you for your order. If you have any questions, please call 800-488-6537 and ask for assistance from a Voler Customer Service Representative, or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.